Legal - Paralegal
REPORTS TO:Manager Legal Services / General Counsel
To assist the lawyers in the preparation and processing of legal files, including litigation matters. This position requires a paralegal who is able to work independently as well as within a team environment under short deadlines.
- Draft and prepare pleadings, letters, statements of account, motion records, affidavits, settlement offer(s) and other court documents as required, as well as agreements and other legal documents
- Correspond with licensees, outside counsel, defendants’ lawyers, sheriffs and Court
- Process, prioritize and coordinate legal files
- Prepare NDA’s, Declaration, Direction & Indemnities for estate matters, etc.
- Communicate and liaise with other departments within SOCAN
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong negotiating and analytical skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work
- Knowledge of court procedures, Copyright Act and SOCAN-Entandem licensing practices
- Experience in creditors’ remedies and execution process
- Working knowledge of various software such as Word, Excel, SharePoint, Epicor, etc.
- Detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize
- Team oriented
- Self motivator
SOCAN’S Legal Department is a busy environment with a myriad of competing activities and demands. Inherently demanding, the Paralegal position requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability with great attention to detail.
Reporting to the Manager, the Paralegal is expected to work in a self-directed and self-motivated manner as well as a team player.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply in writing to Human Resources – Toronto Office and include an updated copy of your résumé. Please e-mail to: email@example.com
Skills may be tested and selection will be based on factors such as past performance, previous related experience and alignment of skills and attributes to those required to perform the job. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Applications must be received by Human Resources by 12:00 noon, December 12, 2019.
In this position, you will be required to work a 5-day workweek Monday-Friday (9-5) with an option of working a 4-day workweek during the summer.
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada