IT - Digital & Integrated Services - Application Senior Developer
POSITION TITLE: Application Senior Developer
REPORTS TO: Manager, Digital Integration Services
This position reports to the Manager, Digital & Integration Services and joins existing team of developers. The duties and responsibilities of this role are to be a lead developer regarding solution design in a hands-on manner, in addition to also having to lead a team of developers (Full Time or Contract). As the Application Sr. Developer, this role will play a critical part in executing the technical direction for the department. Sr. Developers lead the discussion around detailed solution design and work closely with our Architecture team on over high-level solution designs. Key focus areas for the team includes Detailed Design, Integration and Digital build, CI/CD processes and other project deliverables.
Examples of key initiatives for the Digital and Integration Services team:
- Event-based integration between applications, between portal and ERP system and expanding capabilities in both closed APIs (real-time B2B) and open APIs.
- Enhance the Digital Strategy and roadmap to align with Microsoft-based ERP system
- Work with technical teams to create development standards (naming standards, design patterns, re-usable code library, source code management, enhancement tracking, change management, etc.)
- Work with Functional Analysts to create business cases, by providing input outlining technologies required for new initiatives, along with identifying any impacts/risks/dependencies/costs etc.
- Maintain our security model as the organization expands into a number of different external-based partnerships and both business to business (B2B) and social technologies
- Implement a standard approach to Digital solution quality management
Technology Planning and Strategy
- Working with Business and Technical teams, for planning new initiatives:
- Reviews the high level requirements and provide feedback to Business Analyst – focus on alignment with business, corporate and technical strategies and ensure sufficient information for business cases
- Contribute to a high-level solution (including multiple options where appropriate)
- Contribute to estimates to be used in project portfolio planning
- Contribute to an estimation model and continuously improve it based on actual results from executing initiatives
- Key contact point / escalation point for any technical initiatives/issues prior to escalation to management – will work to resolve any issues, but will not hesitate to escalate where appropriate.
- Evaluate and recommend the packaged application solution that meets Customer requirements.
- Contribute/Develop and maintain technical roadmaps taking into account business and technology strategies
- Contribute to and maintain technology and application capability models
Project Execution: High Level Design, Solution Blueprint and Detailed Design
- During the requirements phase of the project, contribute to the high-level design
- The HLD will be developed by the lead Architect and usually include a high-level architecture diagram depicting the components, interfaces and networks that need to be further specified or developed and outline the data transfers between each
- During the design phase of the project, contribute to the Solution Blueprint:
- This document describes the overall system architecture and design of the solution, integration of the various solution components and any integration with other application or infrastructure systems.
- The Solution Blueprint should provide an overview of the entire solution by outlining all of the individual detailed design components and the integration required to bring the solution together.
- This typically includes security considerations, operational support, infrastructure set-ups and conversion/migrations as required. This document further elaborates on the High Level Design document completed in the Requirements phase of the project.
- During the build phase of the project, you will lead the creation of the Detailed Design
Document (DDD) and its execution:
- The DDD is a layer down from the HLD and details each component of the application and answers the 'How, Why, What and Where'.
- The DDD adheres to the overall Solution Architecture and may also discover new architectural requirements that will cause updates to the HLD.
- DDD is the main application documentation (functional and technical specifications) and is the reference for future enhancements or knowledge transfer. It is a living document that will be continually maintained for the entire application life cycle.
- Through the remaining phases of the project execution, there are a number of deliverables including, test and data migration plans, etc. where, as appropriate, the Sr. Developer would be involved.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
Demonstrated leadership and facilitation experience
Lead by example and act as a role model for team members. Motivate and coach team
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated competency in
interacting with and presenting to all levels of audience including senior management, vendors, etc.
Strong customer service orientation
Ability to provide guidance and leadership to peer technical leads
Ability to maintain business partner relationships
Understanding of, and experience in, strategic and operational planning
Demonstrated problem solving, self-management and organizational skills
Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Team player with strong interpersonal, team building and coaching skills
Familiar with working in an environment with project management discipline and
Thorough understanding of common business processes and practices and advanced expertise
in complex business / technical processes and their application
Experience developing business cases and identifying measurable business value
Experience in gathering clear and concise business requirements
Superior knowledge of Systems Development Life Cycle and software development
Technical background of sufficient depth and width to recognize opportunities and design
solutions to effectively leverage technology
Advanced Technical knowledge/background in the following:
Integration: SSIS, REST API’s, Message Queue, Service Bus, API Gateway’s
Portal: Angular JS, Node JS, MSSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SharePoint, EPICOR and Integration to ERP)
Other Microsoft technologies including Project Server, Team Foundation Server.
C#, Asynchronous programming patterns, Multi-threaded applications
Relationship and team builder
Conceptual and forward thinker
Analytical / systematic thinker
7+ Years development experience
Relevant degree and proven IT experience with emphasis on System Integration, Digital Development, Solution Quality Management, and Process Management/Governance.
INTERESTED IN APPLYING? Qualified applicants are invited to visit SOCAN’s career site to submit their resume. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Skills may be tested and selection will be based on factors, related experience and alignment of skills.
5 day work week
Please apply directly to SOCAN's Career site at: http://www.socan.ca/about/careers to be considered for this role. Applications through email or regular mail will not be accepted.
SOCAN is committed to providing an inclusive workplace environment that meets the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities. Please go to http://www.socan.ca/content/accessibility-socan to review SOCAN's policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace. Please direct any accommodation requirements to email@example.com.
SOCAN connects more than four-million music creators worldwide and more than a quarter-million businesses and individuals in Canada. Nearly 150,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers are its direct members, and more than 130,000 organizations are Licensed To Play music across Canada. With a concerted use of progressive technology and a commitment to lead the global transformation of music rights, with wholly-owned subsidiaries Audiam and MediaNet, SOCAN is dedicated to upholding the fundamental truths that music has value and music creators and publishers deserve fair compensation for their work.
For more information on SOCAN please visit www.socan.ca
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada