Broadcast Technician - News Technology (Global)
Division: Global Toronto
Work Status: Full Time
Location: Toronto, Ontario
About the Role
Global Toronto has an opening for a full-time Broadcast Technician in the Technical Services department. This position will report to the Team Lead, News Technology, Global Toronto. As the operation is 24/7, this position will require shift work, including weekends and holidays.
The following highlights the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities which may be assigned to this position.
- Install, troubleshoot and maintain a variety of broadcast systems, facilities and equipment, including mechanical equipment.
- Emergency and routine maintenance on a wide variety of studio and newsroom broadcast equipment which supports News Operations, live and recorded studio productions.
- As required, maintenance of Microwave Vans, Satellite Uplink truck and other mobile equipment.
- Field service support for remote location News or other Production events.
- Be able to perform well under stressful conditions.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of projects assigned.
- Ensure that the Team Lead / PM / Manager, News Technology are informed of current and projected status of all projects and work tasks you have been assigned.
- Maintain a consistent standard of quality control with the team.
- Implement and document all temporary or permanent installations which meet the needs of operations or technical requirements.
- Make equipment purchasing and system design recommendations.
- Excellent communication skills to work with outside vendors and suppliers.
- Excellent Visio skills for CAD drawings of Broadcast systems.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Word, and Office.
- Provide Business / Broadcast IT / Network systems support.
- Work closely with News Operations and productions to maintain high quality and consistent product.
- Work shifts weekdays, weekends, holidays, and any part of the day or night.
- Support operational and production staff.
- Represent Corus in a positive manner.
- Perform other duties as required to the above.
What we need from you:
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Graduate of a recognized post-secondary Broadcast Technologist program.
- Passionate about working in the Broadcasting, technical industry.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot Broadcast Electronic systems.
- An understanding of digital video/audio signals and their integration into Broadcast Systems.
- Knowledge of server/file based work flow technology a requirement. Basic knowledge to include hardware systems and ability to assemble, configure or service any computer workstation.
- Additional training or certification in IP systems and network environments are considered an asset.
- Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10/Server 2003/2008 platforms, Microsoft networking and Broadcast IP Technology.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on broadcast television experience with HD digital equipment.
- Understanding of Live Television production.
- Familiarity with Over the Air transmission for television, microwave and satellite signals.
- Working knowledge with any or all of the following systems and equipment:
- Calrec and Yamaha audio consoles, Evertz MVP multi-viewer display systems, Grass Valley Stratus digital newsroom systems, Evertz video routing switchers, Ikegami studio cameras, Image Video tally control systems, Mosart control room automation systems, Ross Xpression graphics systems, Riedel intercom systems, Snell production switchers, Sony ENG field cameras, Telemetrics studio camera robotics systems, WSI weather systems, fiber transport systems, and digital microwave systems, Newsroom editorial systems.
- Easily navigate, understand and maintain system flows with technical CAD drawings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Visio and Excel is a required asset.
- Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a passion for building and maintaining working relationships.
- Ability to work independently or within a team.
- Possess a valid class driver’s license and clear driving record.
- Willingness to adapt to rapidly changing technology, workflows and integrating systems.
- Must be a strong team player who is eager to embrace new technologies, is self-motivated and has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family TO-Technical Operations
- Job Function 04-Engineering Technologists/Technical Professionals
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required No
- Job Start Date Monday, October 5, 2020
- Toronto, ON, Canada